Become a New York Insight Event Volunteer!
New York Insight relies on volunteers to create a welcome and organized atmosphere for all our events. The center needs you to help prepare the space and welcome participants. As a volunteer, you’ll learn more about New York Insight and become an active member of the Sangha. NYI is almost entirely volunteer-run and generosity is vital to the existence of our community.
Volunteers arrive an hour early and remain for 30 minutes after the event. They prepare the space, welcome and register guests, orient visiting teachers, and help to clean the space for closing up and/or the next group of people. Please see the event volunteer description below for more information about the role. In exchange for this service, you will be able to attend events for which you volunteer for free.
Volunteer Training Prerequisite: Have attended at least one NYI event before attending the training.
If you are interested in attending a training, please RSVP. If you you have any questions about the training, please send us an e-mail.
- you enter a path of service where your service is your practice and your practice is service
- build a greater sense of Sangha
- serve your local Dharma community
- practice generosity
- deepen your practice by exploring relationships between you and others
- get to the center on a regular basis
New York Insight Event Volunteer Role
Event volunteers can anticipate the following experiences and responsibilities:
- Arriving 1 hour before the event start time
- Staying at least 30 minutes past the event end time
- Meeting and working with other volunteers
- Registering participants and taking registration payments
- Welcoming and orienting the teacher
- Responding to participant comments and inquiries
- Setting up cushions and chairs
- Testing the microphones
- Checking the bathrooms for supplies and cleanliness
- Replenishing the drinking cup supplies
- Taking out the garbage and replacing bins with fresh bags
All volunteers are required to attend one training session prior to their first volunteer event, including experienced members of the NYI Sangha who have not yet attended a training. The minimum requirement for volunteering is two events per quarter.
Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: serve.
Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind.
Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.
—William Arthur Ward