New York Insight Meditation Center is now accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. If you are a people-oriented leader committed to Diversity and Inclusion, with a collaborative leadership style, agile in balancing multiple priorities, and strong in administration and communication, this could be a great opportunity to make an important contribution.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, works in collaboration with the Guiding Teacher Council, and directs staff, Volunteers and Consultants to ensure that the organization continually realizes its mission and vision, and executes on its strategy.
This is a full-time paid position.
New York Insight Meditation Center (NYI) provides a welcoming, peaceful refuge for all people who wish to begin or deepen their journey on the path of mindful awareness known as Insight Meditation. NYI offers a rich variety of programs based on the liberation teachings of the Buddha and rooted in the Therevada tradition. Through the guidance of our teachers and the support of community, NYI aspires to cultivate the qualities of mind and heart that lead to the complete integration of wisdom, compassion and true happiness in our lives, here and now.
DIVERSITY: OPEN HEARTS, OPEN MINDS
NYI is dedicated to fostering a welcoming and open-hearted refuge for all people. We are committed to
cultivating an awareness and appreciation of the value of diversity and to acknowledging the need to
recognize and dissolve barriers that separate us from each other.
NYI is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity. All NYI Staff, Teachers, Board Members and
Peer Leaders agree to a Code of Ethics grounded in the 5 Precepts of Buddhism. We open our doors and
hearts to all social identities including all races, classes, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, abilities, cultures and ethnicities.
Programs & Management of the Center
- Maintain the strengths of current program offerings while working with the Guiding Teacher Council and Program Committee to deepen quality and broaden participation.
- Develop programs that encourage, create and maintain a diverse Sangha and promote inclusiveness in the community, aligned with our position on Diversity.
- Grow the Sangha and encourage even greater connectedness within it.
- Oversee and work closely with staff and Volunteers in managing the operations of the Center.
Support of Teachers
- Support the Guiding Teacher Council in their responsibility for the spiritual direction and vision of the center and in the guidance and training of Teachers and Practice Leaders.
Fundraising & Development
- Oversee all development activities including membership, events, annual appeals, major donors, foundations and all other revenue-generating programs.
- Ensure the organization has a long-range strategy which realizes its mission, and make consistent and timely progress toward the mission. Coordinate major new initiatives as appropriate.
- Assure appropriate technology planning and execution for the organization’s Information Technology needs. Manage development of communication materials.
- Develop and encourage appropriate transparency and consistent communication with and amongst community members.
- Ensure adequate promotion of the organization, its programs, and goals.
- Develop relationships and collaborations with like-minded organizations.
Administration & Finances
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Develop administrative and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff. Coordinate and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Oversee all administrative & financial activities and reporting. Develop and maintain sound financial practices including development and adherence to a budget.
- Oversee the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers. Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that personnel policies, including the Code of Ethics, are in accordance with Dharma values.
Provide support to the Board of Directors
- Prepare and present reports reflecting the activities and status of the organization and informing and advising on relevant issues.
- Attend meetings of the Board, serve as an ex officio member on its committees and work with the Chair to prepare Board meeting materials.
- Ensure compliance to the organizational bylaws in reference to Board Officers and terms. Support the onboarding and exit of Board Members.
- Highly collaborative, flexible and patient with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Curious, compassionate and interested in people
- Open to a meditation practice, preferably in the Insight Meditation tradition
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Previous involvement in Diversity and Inclusion initiatives and a commitment to providing leadership in growing an even more diverse and multicultural sangha
- Extensive experience in administration and financial management, with a service-oriented background essential
- Ability to coach staff, and to develop and manage teams
- Experience in leading fund-raising activities
Qualified applicants, send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
No phone calls please