Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course
with Jon Aaron
Required Free Orientation: Thursday, January 17th, 2019 | 6:30pm-9:00pm
9 Week Course
Course: Thursdays, January 31 – March 21, 2019 | 6:30pm-9:00pm
New York Insight offers on-going classes in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), the ground-breaking and time-tested, scientifically researched program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 for the University of Massachusetts Medical School. This transformative course is suited for those coming to meditation for the first time or for experienced meditators who realize they have not yet integrated these practices fully into their lives.
The teaching of MBSR at NY Insight is offered by seasoned MBSR teachers, most of whom are certified by the University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness. All of our teachers have decades of meditation practice and study and between them have taught well over 200 cycles of this seminal 8-Week curriculum.
In addition, New York Insight is committed to providing support for alumni of MBSR Programs in the form of follow-up courses, access to teachers and sitting groups.
Benefits of MBSR
Research over the past 38 years indicates that a majority of people who complete this program report a greater ability to cope more effectively with short and long term stressful situations; an increased ability to relax, lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms; reduction in pain levels and enhanced ability to cope with chronic pain and most importantly a greater energy and enthusiasm for life.
Some of the Skills People Learn in MBSR Courses
- Practical coping skills to improve the ability to handle stressful situations
- Methods for being physically and mentally relaxed and at ease
- Gentle full body conditioning exercises to strengthen the body and release muscular tension
- The ability to be increasingly aware of the interplay of mind and body in health and illness
- The ability to face change and difficult times in your life with greater ease
- Greater ability to decrease the physical, mental and emotional effects of the societal stressors of sexism, racism, homophobia
What to Expect
MBSR uses meditation, yoga and inquiry as a way of training people to relate differently to stresses in their lives and in fact, relate differently to each moment of their lives
This class is in 8 weekly 2 ½ hour sessions. Between classes 5 and 7 there is a full day of practice on a weekend day. Each class includes various “formal” meditation practices, mindful movement and discussion/inquiry exploring the habits of the mind to discover how these patterns of reactivity become a major cause of stress.
Class size ranges from 15 – 30 participants. The course is experiential: by paying attention to what arises in daily and class practice, and through exploring the challenges that arise and how these are met, a supportive and safe container is created.
Participants are supported by recorded guided meditations and are expected to practice 30-45 minutes of formal meditation daily as well as various informal practices.
Course Fee & Requirements
- Sliding scale: Sustaining $600 – Base $450
- Please choose your rate mindfully and be as generous as possible so that NYI can continue to offer financial assistance to those in need.
- It is important when considering this class to make sure your schedule allows you to attend all 8 sessions, though if a class is missed there are usually concurrent classes which allow for make-up sessions.
We currently do not have any MBSR financial assistance at this time.
Thursday, January 17, 6:30pm-9pm
Orientation Location: NYIMC 28 West 27th Street, 10th Floor
Please note that attendance is required at the orientation session. If this is not possible, you must arrange to speak with the instructor before the first class.
8 Thursdays, 6:30pm-9pm
January 31, February 7, 14, 21, 28, March 7, 14, 21
Course Location: NYIMC 28 West 27th Street, 1oth Floor
Sunday, March 10, 9:30am-5pm
Daylong Location: NYIMC 28 West 27th Street, 10th Floor
The course is currently sold out. You can join the waiting list by registering for and attending the free orientation. If spots open up, we will accept you off the waiting list based on the time that you registered for the orientation and if you attended the orientation.
You are welcome to attend the orientation if you wish to find out more about the course even if it is sold out. Once you attend an orientation, you do not have to do so again when registering for the MBSR course in the future. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.