What Guides Us
MISSION New York Insight Meditation Center (NYI) provides a welcoming, peaceful refuge for all people who wish to begin or deepen their journey on the path of mindful awareness known as Insight Meditation. NYI offers a rich variety of programs based on the liberation teachings of the Buddha and rooted in the Therevada tradition. Through the guidance of our teachers and the support of community, NYI aspires to cultivate the qualities of mind and heart that lead to the complete integration of wisdom, compassion and true happiness in our lives, here and now.
VISION To be an inclusive community of practice & study that provides a refuge for all people who seek the teachings of the Buddha.
- Teach and Practice the Buddhadharma
- Transform through Wisdom & Compassion
- Cultivate Generosity
- Nurture Joy/Well-being
- Provide Refuge in the City
- Embody Peacefulness – in Our Space & Ourselves
- Develop Diversity – through Open Doors & Open Hearts
- Act as Stewards of Our Resources
- Act in Accordance with Our Ethics
- Practice Simplicity
All NYI Teachers, Board Members and Peer Leaders agree to a Code of Ethics grounded in the 5 Precepts. You can download a copy: NYI Code of Ethics.