WHAT WE TEACH
We Teach What the Buddha Taught
The wisdom available at New York Insight is grounded in the Pali Canon, the oldest extant record of the Buddha’s original teachings. For over 2,000 years, the Pali Canon has provided the foundation for Theravada Buddhist practice. NYI carries the heritage of the Theravada Buddhist tradition, providing New Yorkers a unique and modern opportunity to connect with the wisdom of these teachings to benefit their everyday lives.
We teach more than meditation and offer a variety of courses, retreats, daylongs and other programs to begin or deepen understanding of the profound teachings of the Buddha. We offer programs both on-site at our beautiful Manhattan center as well as various locations throughout New York City.
Please visit our online calendar to see all of our upcoming courses and events.
We offer a variety of drop-in, by-donation, onsite ongoing sittings at our center as well as offsite sittings and events in Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey.
In addition, NYI offers Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), an in-depth, secular approach to mindfulness meditation. To learn about MBSR, please click here.
New York Insight offers a variety of drop-in Onsite and Offsite Ongoing Sittings at our center and in various locations including Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey. Sittings are led by NYI Teachers or Peer-Leaders.
All sittings are by donation; no registration is required.
Please check the calendar for up to date information about any changes/cancellations and for locations for off-site events.
ON-SITE at 28 West 27th ST, 10th Floor
- Dedicated Practice Sangha: Every Sunday, 6–8pm
- Generation Meditation: Young Adults: 2nd and 4th Sundays, 6–8pm
- Living Urban Dharma–Monday Daytime Sit: Every Monday, 12:30–2pm
- Insight Out Refuge: LGBTQI Sangha: 4th Mondays, 6:30-8:30pm
- Insight Dialogue Sangha: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 6:30-8:30pm on 7th Floor (Room 704)
- People of Color Sangha: 1st and 3rd Mondays, 7–9pm
- Sacred Earth Sangha: 2nd Mondays, 7-9pm
- Aging As A Spiritual Practice: Every Tuesday, 1-2:30pm
- Tuesday Dharma Gathering: Every Tuesday, 7–9pm
- Beginner’s Orientation (Part of Tuesday Dharma Gathering): Every Tuesday, 7-8pm
- Thursday Peer-Led Sitting: Every Thursday, 7–9pm
- Community Open Hours (Self-guided meditation in the small room): Tuesdays–Fridays, 2–6pm
OFF-SITE (see calendar for dates and locations)
- Brooklyn Sangha: Tuesday evenings, 7–9 pm
- Brooklyn POC & Allies: 2nd and 4th Monday evenings, 7:00-8:30pm
- Harlem Insight: 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening, 7:30-9pm
- New Jersey Sangha: Wednesday evenings, 7-9pm
- Queens Sangha: 2 Wednesday evenings per month, 7-8:30pm. Check our calendar for upcoming dates.