The teachings of the Buddha have an experiential emphasis. It is not a question of believing that practicing meditation is beneficial, but of actually trying it out and experiencing the results for oneself.
NYI offers meditation classes in NYC for those new to meditation as well as experienced meditators. We have weekly orientations and regularly scheduled courses and workshops that provide fundamental instruction in Insight Meditation. For beginners, emphasis is placed on the practices of sitting and walking meditation and developing mindfulness in daily life.
BEGINNING YOUR PRACTICE
The weekly Tuesday Integrated Beginners’ Orientation and the quarterly weekend Beginners’ Workshops offer basic instructions while the 6-Week Beginners’ Course offers a more in-depth exploration of the teachings. Many sitting groups are appropriate for all levels.
Upcoming Beginners’ Courses:
- Attend a Tuesday Integrated Beginners’ Orientation (every Tuesday at 7pm)
- Sign up for NYI’s email updates
- Attend a Beginners’ Workshop
- Register for a 6-Week Beginners’ Course
- Register for our Dharma Foundations Courses: 4 Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, and Brahmaviharas
- Attend weekly sitting groups
- Explore Introductory Readings
- Cultivate & Practice Generosity
- Begin a home practice
- A Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield
- Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening by Joseph Goldstein
- Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation by Sharon Salzberg
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana